Radar-Enabled Speed Sign
Highlight sharp curves or other road conditions and improve driver safety on rural roads and exit ramps with intelligent warning displays
Advise drivers if they are traveling too fast when they approach dangerous curves, exits, ramps, pedestrian crossings, or other potential road hazards. The versatile SpeedCheck® Advisory Speed Sign allows for several alert options and can pair with existing static warning signs or flashing beacons.
Available in 15- and 18-inch models, these digital advisory speed signs mount below standard yellow warning signs and use the popular and robust SpeedCheck radar display and system enclosure. Our SpeedCheck products are a proven and effective traffic calming tool to reduce driver speeds in school zones, rural roads, highways, and more.
All SpeedCheck systems have the added benefit of delivering two-way wireless communication—either onsite or remotely—for setup, diagnostics, upgrades, and more. Optional features will help to eliminate unnecessary service calls, set a scheduling function that allows for easy programming and unlimited schedules, or measure the compliance results with ease using the precise traffic data and analysis.AVAILABLE FEATURES:
- Mobile app for iOS® and Android™ enables quick and easy setup and programming from up to 50 ft away using on-site Bluetooth® wireless connectivity. Cell modem, Ethernet, and other standard traffic communication options are also available.
- Flashing digits and optional “Slow Down” message can be programmed to flash at user-defined speed thresholds—the faster the speed, the faster the flash. A high-speed cutoff threshold can also be set to prevent drivers from racing the sign.
- Powered by AC, battery, or solar systems.
The SpeedCheck Advisory Speed can be combined with our 24-hour flashing beacons on a single or separate pole, or with SpeedCheck radar speed signs for a complete solution. This product comes with a 3-year warranty for peace of mind.
The meandering Redwood Highway along California’s North Coast has troublesome curves that resulted in many accidents. After Caltrans installed several warning devices, including SpeedCheck feedback signs, they saw a significant drop in the number of collisions. In one area where a combination of SpeedCheck signs, flashing digits, and beacons were used in conjunction with a static advisory speed sign, the number of collisions was reduced by 75% in two years.
Top 3 reasons to choose our SpeedCheck-15 radar speed sign:
The SpeedCheck display makes it literally stand out amongst the competition:
- Unique safety masking on display ensures the display is only visible from the front (up to 3 lanes across), preventing drivers from rubbernecking to read it as they drive past.
- 7-segment design improves legibility from a distance.
- Ultra-clear contrast delivers superior viewability in bright sunlight, with no “88” character ghosting.
These images were taken during a side by side test.
Displays faint red “25” with ghosted “88” characters
Displays bright, curved “26” against deep black contrast
The SpeedCheck Manager software allows you to easily set up, program, update, and perform maintenance on your variable speed limit sign. It can be accessed locally with Bluetooth or remotely using an Ethernet connection. If your system has external devices, such as beacons or cameras, you’ll configure them here. Read our Manager spec sheet for more information.
Ideal for school zone applications and anywhere a set schedule is desirable, the SpeedCheck Scheduler is included with SpeedCheck Manager and allows you to program and manage schedules for multiple signs, from simple on/off functions and data collection times to the operation of external devices like flashing beacons and cameras. This easy-to-use scheduler lets you set up to 16 unique events per day over two years. Read our Scheduler spec sheet for more information.
SpeedCheck Traffic Analyzer
When enabled, the radar on SpeedCheck variable speed limit signs can be used to collect the date, time, and speed of over 200,000 vehicles. You can connect to your SpeedCheck display any time and download this collected traffic data. SpeedCheck Traffic Analyzer lets you plot the data, see the success of your traffic calming programs, and identify areas for improvement. Read our Traffic Analyzer spec sheet for more information.
We put solar to work™No matter where you install your digital advisory speed sign, we can run a comprehensive site assessment to confirm the best solar-powered solution for your project. We run a field-proven software simulation to create a Solar Power Report™ to show you how we did it. Best of all? It’s free, and we can have it ready in 24 hours.
Configuration Options and Add-Ons
Advisory Alert OptionsWe offer three advisory alerts options:
- STATIC SPEED + FLASHING DIGITS: The digital sign can display a static and preset advised speed at all times. With the radar-enabled feature, the display flashes the digits when drivers exceed the advised speed—the higher the speed, the faster it flashes.
- STATIC SPEED + SLOW DOWN MESSAGE: The sign continuously displays the advised speed until a driver exceeds the preset limit. The display then alternates flashing the advised speed with a “slow down” message in 6-inch digits.
- BLANK SPEED ADVISORY + SLOW DOWN MESSAGE: When no advisory speed has been established, a "slow down" alert message can boost the effectiveness of standard warning signs. Drivers approaching at a safe speed see only the static warning sign, but those driving too quickly will trigger the "slow down" message, which flashes at a quicker rate the faster they speed.