Radar Speed Sign
Alert speeding drivers with intelligent radar-activated warning displays
Calming traffic. Saving lives. The SpeedCheck-15 radar speed sign effectively slows traffic in pedestrian and school zones, residential areas, and arterials and rural roadways with posted speeds less than 45 mph. Also known as driver feedback signs, these traffic calming devices effectively draw the attention of drivers who are exceeding posted speed limits, allowing those targeted drivers to self-correct.
SpeedCheck systems have the added benefit of delivering two-way wireless communication, either onsite or remotely, for setup, diagnostics, upgrades, and more. Optional features will help to eliminate unnecessary service calls, set a scheduling function that allows for easy programming and unlimited schedules, or measure the compliance results with ease using the precise traffic data and analysis.
- On-site Bluetooth® wireless connectivity is available on all SpeedCheck-15 models—without cellular service fees. Cell modem, Ethernet, and other standard traffic communication options are also available.
- Flashing digits and optional “Slow Down” message can be programmed to flash at user-defined speed thresholds—the faster the speed, the faster the flash. A high-speed cutoff threshold can also be set to prevent drivers from racing the sign.
- Powered by AC, battery, or solar systems.
The SpeedCheck-15 is listed in the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Many states have SpeedCheck devices on their approved product list. It is also approved by the Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) and other safety bodies around the world.
SpeedCheck radar signs can be combined with our crosswalk flashing beacons on a single or separate pole, or with an LED enhanced sign for a complete solution. This product comes with a 3-year warranty for peace of mind.
“We have installed SpeedCheck displays in several new locations throughout the city as well as replaced some of the less reliable signs we had previously purchased from a different manufacturer. SpeedCheck displays have proven to be easy to install, rugged, and reliable.”
– Doran Beauclair, Signal Electrician, City of Bellevue, Washington
Top 3 reasons to choose our SpeedCheck-15 radar speed sign:
The SpeedCheck display makes it literally stand out amongst the competition:
- Unique safety masking on display ensures the display is only visible from the front (up to 3 lanes across), preventing drivers from rubbernecking to read it as they drive past.
- 7-segment design improves legibility from a distance.
- Ultra-clear contrast delivers superior viewability in bright sunlight, with no “88” character ghosting.
These images were taken during a side by side test.
Displays faint red “25” with ghosted “88” characters
Displays bright, curved “26” against deep black contrast
The SpeedCheck Manager software allows you to easily set up, program, update, and perform maintenance on your variable speed limit sign. It can be accessed locally with Bluetooth or remotely using an Ethernet connection. If your system has external devices, such as beacons or cameras, you’ll configure them here. Read our Manager spec sheet for more information.
Ideal for school zone applications and anywhere a set schedule is desirable, the SpeedCheck Scheduler is included with SpeedCheck Manager and allows you to program and manage schedules for multiple signs, from simple on/off functions and data collection times to the operation of external devices like flashing beacons and cameras. This easy-to-use scheduler lets you set up to 16 unique events per day over two years. Read our Scheduler spec sheet for more information.
SpeedCheck Traffic Analyzer
When enabled, the radar on SpeedCheck variable speed limit signs can be used to collect the date, time, and speed of over 200,000 vehicles. You can connect to your SpeedCheck display any time and download this collected traffic data. SpeedCheck Traffic Analyzer lets you plot the data, see the success of your traffic calming programs, and identify areas for improvement. Read our Traffic Analyzer spec sheet for more information.
We put solar to work™Whether you are installing radar speed signs in school zones, residential areas, or work zones, we can run a comprehensive site assessment to confirm the best solar-powered solution for your project. We run a field-proven software simulation to create an Energy Balance Report™ (EBR) to show you how we did it. Best of all? It’s free, and we can have it ready in under an hour.
Configuration Options and Add-Ons
- Remote connectivity for scheduling, system monitoring and reporting
- "YOUR SPEED" sign sizes and colors
- "SLOW DOWN" message when drivers exceed preset limit
- Flashing strobes (available in white or red and blue, and with multiple flash patterns)
- Flashing circular amber beacons (for supplementing school zone speed limit signs)
Remote ConnectivityWe partnered with leading intelligent transportation systems (ITS) solutions provider Applied Information to develop StreetHub™, a portfolio of beacons and signs that leverages cellular technology to allow authorized personnel to remotely monitor and control their complete network from a single easy-to-use web-based platform. With StreetHub, you can set and adjust schedules the schedules of your SpeedCheck systems from anywhere, plus collect data, manage alerts, monitor battery health, and more—all without having to make a manual site visit. Click here to download the SPEEDCHECK-HUB specification sheet.
"YOUR SPEED" Sign Sizes and ColorsThe SpeedCheck-15's static sign comes in a variety of colors and sizes for a variety of applications. We offer two standard sign sizes: 42"x30" and a compact 30"x30". There are also four sign colors available based on MUTCD guidelines. If you'd like to learn more about MUTCD guidelines for radar speed signs, read our quick guide here.
White (not MUTCD standard)
Yellow (used for most applications)
Fluorescent yellow-green (used for school zones)
Orange (used for work zones)