Radar Signs for Highways
Intelligent radar signs alert speeding drivers on highways
Effective. Versatile. Durable. The SPEEDCHECK-18 radar speed sign is a traffic calming tool for highway and expressway applications with posted speeds 45 mph and over. Also known as driver feedback signs, these traffic calming devices are proven to show measurable results. The speed detection display sign flashes 18-inch, bright LED digits, making it easy for drivers to understand at a glance if they are exceeding the posted speed limits, and react by slowing down.
This radar speed sign includes two-way wireless communication, either onsite or remotely, for setup, diagnostics, upgrades, and more. Optional features will help to eliminate unnecessary service calls and set a scheduling function that allows for easy programming and unlimited schedules. Measure the compliance results with ease using the precise traffic data and reporting that is available for analysis.
- On-site Bluetooth® wireless connectivity is available on all SPEEDCHECK-18 models—without cellular service fees. Cell modem, Ethernet, and other standard traffic communication options are also available.
- Flashing digits and optional “Slow Down” message can be programmed to flash at user-defined speed thresholds—the faster the speed, the faster the flash. A high-speed cutoff threshold can also be set to prevent drivers from racing the sign.
- Powered by AC, battery, or solar systems.
The SPEEDCHECK-18 is listed in the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), meaning it is approved for use in the United States. Many states have SpeedCheck devices on their approved product list. It is also approved by the Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) and other safety bodies around the world.
STUDIES SHOW: According to a 2008 report from the Transportation Research Board, radar signs had a mean speed reduction of 1.7 mph in high-speed locations.
Top 3 reasons the SPEEDCHECK-18 radar signs are better than the competition:
- Unique safety masking ensures the numbers are only visible from the front (up to 3 lanes across), preventing drivers from rubbernecking to read it as they drive past.
- 7-segment design improves legibility from a distance.
- Ultra-clear contrast delivers superior viewability in bright sunlight, with no “88” character ghosting.
These images were taken during a side-by-side test.
Displays faint red “25” with ghosted “88” characters
Displays bright, curved “26” against deep black contrast
Software for radar signs
The SpeedCheck Manager software allows you to easily set up, program, update, and perform maintenance on your radar speed sign. It can be accessed locally with Bluetooth or remotely using an Ethernet connection. If your system has external devices, such as beacons or cameras, you’ll configure them here. Read our Manager spec sheet for more information.
Ideal for school zone applications and anywhere a set schedule is desirable, the SpeedCheck Scheduler is included with SpeedCheck Manager and allows you to program and manage schedules for multiple signs, from simple on/off functions and data collection times to the operation of external devices like flashing beacons and cameras. This easy-to-use scheduler lets you set up to 16 unique events per day over two years. Read our Scheduler spec sheet for more information.
SpeedCheck Traffic Analyzer
When enabled, the radar on SpeedCheck signs can be used to collect the date, time, and speed of over 200,000 vehicles. You can connect to your SpeedCheck display any time and download this collected traffic data. SpeedCheck Traffic Analyzer lets you plot the data, see the success of your traffic calming programs, and identify areas for improvement. Read our Traffic Analyzer spec sheet for more information.
We put solar to work™We can help you determine the best power supply option for your specific needs. If solar power is the way to go, the experts at Carmanah can help you find the exact solar power solution required to ensure not-stop, trouble-free operations under any circumstances. We run a field-proven software simulation to create a Solar Power Report™ to show you how we did it. Best of all? It’s free, and we can have it ready in 24 hours.
- Remote connectivity for scheduling, system monitoring and reporting
- "YOUR SPEED" sign sizes and colors
- "SLOW DOWN" message when drivers exceed preset limit
- Flashing strobes (available in white or red and blue, and with multiple flash patterns)
- Flashing circular amber beacons (for supplementing school zone speed limit signs)